Thursday, May 11, 2017

Throwback Thursday: meet my great-grandparents

Meet my great-grandparents Adele and Josef.
They are the parents of my mother's mother.
My mother recently found this picture.

Here you see 3 special memoral stones. The are called
"stolpersteine". And you can find information about it here.
These stones are on the pavement in front of a house
that used to belong to Jewish people who perished in the
2nd World War. Why these memorial stones: because
they have no burial site, they perished in the camps and
their ashes are lost.

You see 3 stones here for Adele and Josef not only
had a daughter (my grandmother) but also had a son.
Their is unfortunately no picture saved from him.
This is the only we he can be remembered.


I used the photograh to make this card and have it
on my side table with the other family members.
Papers and rubber stamps are all from Club Scrap's 
Adirondacs May kit.

I used the sketch from

Thank you for looking
and have a creative day!


5 comments:

Fenny said...

Wow Hetty dat is een oude foto en wat hartstikke leuk dat je die hebt. De kaart die je ermee hebt gemaakt is werkelijk een juweeltje. Echt een 'plaatje'. Weer een geweldige kaart heb je gemaakt.

liefs van fenny

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I had no idea that there were "stolpersteine" as remembrance outside of houses, thank you for enlightening me. A lovely photo of your Great Grandparents and lovely that candles are lit to remember loved ones. Dare I say I can see a likeness with you from your Great Grandmother?
A beautiful frame for the picture.
Faith
x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely way to remember those who perished in the 'camps', Hetty, and a great way to 'frame' the photograph for you family display.
Blessings
Maxine

Wendy Bellino said...

Hetty I read your post the days ago and got sidetracked looking up stolpersteine. My heart hurts after reading your story. I had that same feeling when I walked through the Anne Frank house. What a lovely way to remember lost family members. I love the card, such a great treasure!

LUCYG said...

Hetty, I'm sorry to be a year late commenting on this post. I saved the link and meant to come back sooner. So very sorry about your great-grandparents and great-uncle. It makes me cry. My stepmother was a baby in the '30s, escaped Austria with her parents, but the rest of the family (both sides) died in the camps. Dozens of people. So sad.